PR & Citizenship Requirements and Benefits | Singapore Immigration Consultancy

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions – For your ease of understanding 

Being a permanent resident in Singapore means you are allowed to live, work, or buy property at a lower tax rate in the country. You will be part of the local community, eligible for various benefits such as traveling without restrictions.

Your children will also have priority in Singapore’s public education. Your employer will be required to make contributions to your CPF and you will no longer be required to acquire a new work visa every time you have a change of jobs.

But with these rights, the Government will also have the power to enforce specific responsibilities, like military service, something that your male children (if they are also PR’s) must do once they reach 18 years old.

Singapore Permanent Residents enjoy only a fraction of the benefits Singapore Citizens are entitled to. Both PRs and foreigners pay a higher percentage of school and polyclinic consultation fees compared to Singapore Citizens.

Paid maternity leave is also subjected to employment contract if you or your child is not a Singapore citizen. Also, PRs are not allowed to vote in Singapore’s general election. 

If you would like to know more, feel free to get in in touch with our team of consultants here.

Singapore permanent residents are entitled to a variety of benefits such as the convenience of seeking employment in Singapore without having to reapply for work permits or visas. You also enjoy the convenience of leaving and entering the country without having to apply for visas. PRs also get priority right after citizens in terms of public schooling for your children, obtain long-stay visas for your parents, enjoy the financial and tax benefits provided by Singapore’s Central Provident Fund (CPF). For business owners, PRs also get a higher priority and success when applying for various loans through the government.

There isn’t any specific employment period which foreigners have to wait before applying for PR. In general, employment Pass (P or Q work pass) or S pass are eligible to submit their applications for PR under Scheme for Professional/ Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers(PTS) for ICA’s consideration. However, one of the requirements for application is to submit a 6 months pay slip hence, typically, you can apply after you are able to fulfill this requirement. 

You may sponsor your children for Singapore citizenship or permanent residence if they are unmarried and below 21 years old, and were born within the context of a legal marriage or have been legally adopted.

You can sponsor your parents for permanent residency only if you are a Singapore citizen. 

Singapore PRs are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship 2 years after being granted your PR status.

For documents that are not in English language, ICA accepts translation done by the Embassy of the document-issuing country or a Notary Public in Singapore. A privately translated copy attested by the Embassy of the document-issuing country or notarised by a Notary Public in Singapore is also acceptable. ICA does not endorse any private translation companies or entities.

As a foreigner, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence if you are a/an:
  1. spouse of a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident (PR)
  2. Unmarried child aged below 21 years old, born within the context of a legal marriage to, or have been legally adopted by a Singapore citizen or PR
  3. Aged parent of a Singapore citizen
  4. Holder of an Employment Pass or S Pass
  5. Student studying in Singapore
  6. Foreign investor in Singapore

You are eligible to apply for Singapore Citizenship if you:

  1. Have been a Singapore Permanent Resident (PR) for at least 2 years and are aged 21 and above (you can apply together with your spouse and any unmarried children aged below 21 born to you within the context of a legal marriage or legally adopted by you).
  2. Have been a PR for at least 2 years and have been married to a Singapore citizen for at least 2 years.
  3. Are an unmarried child aged below 21 born within the context of a legal marriage to, or have been legally adopted by, a Singapore citizen.
  4. Are a PR studying in Singapore; and have been residing/living in Singapore for more than 3 years (of which, at least one year as a PR); and have passed at least 1 national exam (i.e. PSLE, GCE ‘N’/‘O’/‘A’ levels), or are in the Integrated Programme (IP).
  5. Are a PR and an Aged Parent of a Singapore citizen.

You must have resided in Singapore for more than 2 years and passed at least 1 national examinations (i.e PSLE / GCE N/O or A levels or are in the Integrated Programme (IP) for ICA to consider your application)

For SG Citizenship application – Singapore Citizenship applications usually take 12 months to process. For children born overseas to Singapore citizens, the general processing time is within 2 months from receipt of complete documents.

For SG PR application – Generally, Singapore PR applications take about 6 months to process, provided all the required documents are submitted. Depending on the complexity of the case, some applications may take more than 6 months to process.

A Singapore citizen may obtain Permanent Residency (PR) of another country. However, a Singapore citizen aged 21 years and above is not allowed to hold dual citizenship.

You may travel out of Singapore while waiting for the result of your PR application. If the application is approved, you (the applicant) must return to Singapore for the completion of formalities.

Investors who are interested in starting up a business or investing in Singapore may apply for the Singapore Permanent Residence status (PR) through the Global Investor Programme (GIP) by submitting all the required application forms and supporting documents.

You can renew your Long Term Visit Pass Singapore, following the same process as your initial application.

To renew your LTVP issued by the ICA, you will have to apply at least ten days before your current one expires.

To renew your LTVP issued by the MOM, you will have to apply a maximum of six months before your current one expires.